Here is what I found online:
When we eat devitalized foods such as sweets, white flours, bread, meat, cooked fruits, processed drinks, and pastas and take in things like coffee, drugs and alcohol our body is stimulated by these products and produces mucous to protect our intestinal tract from the resulting toxins. The more often you ingest these substances, the harder it is on your body and the more layers of mucous are produced. This is one reason why some meals should be all fruits or all vegetables. Mixing fruits and vegetables in the same meal are hard to digest and can give you acid reflux.
One problem with multiple layers of mucous is that the pancreatic fluids which normally keep the mucoid layers stripped and digested off the gut can’t keep up. Over time (years usually) these mucous layers build up and harden making the intestines less effective at absorbing what you eat. One sign of this happening is vertical ridges on your little fingernails.
Gradually, the body weakens and our digestive processes become slower. When this happens, food starts to rot in our gut a little bit after each meal creating even more toxins and an imbalanced gut flora (and an overgrowth of yeast). Even the muscular walls of the gut weaken and lose tone creating a pot belly, prolapses, diverticuli, polyps, colitis and smelly gas problems. Eventually these disturbances may lead to cancer.
Small bowel pockets and diverticuli are more common than most health professionals realize, and should be taken into account when any low grade infection or decrease in vitality over time are present. Low back pain, menstrual irregularity, ovarian cysts, constipation, bladder problems, heart palpitations, hemorrhoids, tipped uterus, and prostate problems are often a result of a prolapsed (fallen) transverse colon. Fasting and enemas can help these greatly.
Food was meant to pass through the body within 8-18 hours. The longer it is held, the more putrefactive, toxic and gaseous it becomes. When bowel tone and condition are good, we should have a bowel movement after every meal.
Laxatives never solve the problems of poor eating habits, lack of exercise and bowel neglect. Repeated artificial stimulation of the bowels destroys their natural emptying reflex, so that they will no longer move without artificial stimulants. The laxative habit begins innocently enough with the correct belief that bowels should move every day, however, laxatives will cause the evacuation of several days’ worth of stool in a single movement. Impatient for reestablishing stool regularity, the patient takes another laxative, and the cycle begins.
Toxins are released through the skin, kidneys and liver, but the main route for toxins release is the bowels. This process needs to be assisted from time-to-time or the toxins will be reabsorbed back through the intestinal wall. Also, when doing a water or juice fast, the normal bowel movements do not take place because the gut is resting.
Enemas and Fasting: Starting a fast with an enema seems to help with hunger pangs and solidifies the beginning of my fast, helping to shut down the digestive system so it can detoxify, repair and rejuvenate.
Note: Be sure to make sure the valve on the enema apparatus is shut tightly before filling the bag and after you release all the air from the tube. I know this may seem obvious, but boy, does it make a mess if you don’t.
Hang the filled enema bag on the shower, bathroom door handle or on the towel rack about three feet above your pelvis. Place the tip over the toilet, sink or bathtub and allow the liquid to flow until the air bubbles all come out. Hanging it higher increases the pressure of the fluid coming out. You can control the flow with the enema bag shut-off valve, so make sure it is easy to grasp. Put some lubricant on the enema tip and on the anus if necessary.
Now, get into position. There are several ways you can do this. Now, you can only go as fast as the slowest part of you feels safe to go, so experiment with what you feel comfortable with. Here are some good options:
- Bend over at the waist as you sit on the toiler to make your belly parallel to the floor if possible so the fluid will flow in without as much impedance.
- Stand up over the toilet and bend at the waist and let the fluid flow in. This is my favorite position because my abdominal muscles don’t contract as much and the flow going in is easier with greater volume.
- Lay on the floor on your right side or back and let the fluid flow in.
- Kneel on the floor with your bottom up and your head down with your head resting on a towel.
After the liquid is in (as much as you can hold without cramping or feeling uncomfortable) then massage your gut area and try to move the liquid around as you knead your abdomen. The more you massage the colon, the more will come out. If you feel you have to release the liquid, don’t hold it in. Sit on the toilet and release that liquid, then put more into the rectum and try again until the enema bag is empty. You will know when enough is enough.
Start your massage on the lower left side of the abdomen, then massage up toward your ribcage, across the top of your abdomen then the lower right abdomen. The ileocecal valve is here at the lower right. Spend a little extra time there because this is where the small intestine and large intestine meet and lots of people have spasms of their ileocecal valve and gas in this place.
Now go to the bathroom and release your enema. If you are having trouble fully releasing your bowels, take a few deep breaths and keep massaging, then sitting on the toilet, pull your belly upwards to straighten out the sigmoid colon. This changes the pressure in the abdomen area and makes it easier for the fluid to pass through. Here’s what the colon looks like (for those of you who don’t already know.)
The releasing process takes about 5-20 minutes, so make sure if you only have one bathroom in the house to have the bathroom for yourself for this time.
Some practitioners suggest continuing this process until 2 gallons have flushed though the bowels (one to four cups at a time). You do what you think you can until your comfort level rises. If you don’t get the job done today, you can try it again tomorrow.
Find a time during your schedule when you will have some time to do this.
Note: Some people say doing an enema after 6 p.m. may necessitate getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Our experience has been that the whole process of evacuating is usually completed within 20 minutes.
Headaches, lack of energy or just feeling terrible, pain in the throat, heart or chest could indicate that the liver is unable to handle the overload of toxins. A coffee enema can cause the liver to produce more bile so that the bile ducts will open up and get things moving to detox.
What is a “Normal” Bowel Movement?
With every new exam I ask the question. . .
“How many bowel movements do you have each day? Do you see any mucous, blood, diarrhea or constipation?”
Feces, crap, stools, shit, poop, manure, BM, #2, dung, droppings, and bowel contents are all the same thing. I use all these terms as sometimes my clients don’t know what feces or stool is. If I can’t communicate with my clients, I can’t help them.
Feces contains water, indigestible fiber, undigested food, sloughed off intestinal cells, living and dead bacteria, bile, and worn out red blood cells. A normal stool should be brown to light brown, formed but not hard or too soft, cylindrical but not flattened on any side, fairly bulky and full bodied but not compact, easy to pass, and it shouldn’t have an extremely foul smell. Each bowel movement should be in one piece, about the size and shape of a banana being tapered at the end. Sometimes this will not be discernable if the feces breaks up in the toilet. Some people feel that if the body is absorbing all the minerals from the food that the stool will float. Others believe that the stool should sink. I think the important thing is that there are no air bubbles in the stool and that it doesn’t drop like a brick in the toilet. It should be somewhere in between.
An occasional deviation from this pattern is acceptable. Any chronic deviation from the above pattern is not healthy and should be dealt with.
It’s amazing how many people don’t even look at their stools in the toilet. It’s so important. Stools can reveal a lot about your health if you learn to read them. Digestion happens. It’s a shame that few of us are unable to talk about them without embarrassment. For instance:
- Air or bubbles in the stool can mean that we have a gut or flora imbalance and that gas producing bacteria are overgrown and competing with the healthier flora.
- Alternating bouts of diarrhea and constipation can be cause by irritable bowel syndrome, food allergies, red meat, spices, sugar, alcohol, stress, lack of fiber, irregular bowel habits.
- Color: Stools are usually the color of the food.
- Constipation can occur leading to impaction--the presence in the rectum of a mass of feces too large to pass. Fecal impaction is usually the result of poor bowel habits, a diet with too little liquid and roughage, too much protein and inadequate physical activity.
- Diarrhea, whether acute or chronic, can disrupt the bowel's normal rhythm and lead to irregularity. It can mean that your large intestine is not functioning properly. The large intestine is in charge of removing excess water from the feces. Rule outs can include food poisoning, lactose intolerance, anxiety, stress, too many antacids, antibiotics, parasites like Giardia or Coccidia, Balantidia, Coccidoidiomycosis or other parasites, viruses, bacterial overgrowth, inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome. A healthy bowel will take about a quart and a half and condense it down to 1 cup of stool. That’s pretty amazing.
- Frank red blood (obvious bright red bleeding) can be a sign of hemorrhoids, colitis, Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, colon cancer or be caused from impacted stools passing through the rectum telling us we need to drink more water.
- Horrible smelling stools—too much protein, flora imbalance.
- If the stools are black, tarry and sticky (called melena), this can mean that there is bleeding from the small intestine. These types of stools usually have a distinctive bad odor. If you’ve ever smelled a dog with Parvo, corona or rotavirus, you know what I mean.
- Light green stools—Too much sugar, fruits or vegetables and not enough grains or salt (or in the case of animals, too much grass)Mucous can reveal diverticulitis and gut inflammation due to allergies or parasites.
- Oily or greasy looking stools that usually float and can be large can mean that your pancreas or small intestine are not functioning well enough and not releasing enough digestive enzymes. Normal stools are about 1% fat. When this percentage increases to about 7%, the stool will look oily and greasy. This is called steatorrhea. High fat meals can cause this to happen but should be temporary.
- Pale or clay colored stools can mean that your gallbladder or liver is not working correctly.
- Pencil thin or ribbon-like stools can mean you have a polyp or growth on the inside of the colon or rectum.
- Presence of food: If the stool breaks up easily and you can see bits and pieces of the food you ate, maybe you are not chewing your food thoroughly enough. This can cause GERD, acid reflux, abdominal bloating and diarrhea.
- Red or magenta stools-- ingestion of beets.
- Very dark stools: Too much red wine, too much salt in the diet, not enough vegetables. Blueberries, Pepto Bismol (the bismuth in it) and iron pills can also be responsible for dark stools.
Normal bowel habits not only improve the quality of life, they help prevent several common diseases--for example, diverticulitis and fecal impaction. Gall stones, appendicitis, colon cancer, hiatal hernia, diabetes, and heart disease have also been related to the quality of bowel movements and the foods that affect them.
Number of bowel movements: Healthy bowel activity is considered one or two movements of moderate size every day. Every other day or once or twice a week bowel movements can harm you because the bowel contents release toxins back into the body through the mucous membranes. You’ve got to keep that waste moving!
Fecal incontinence (uncontrollable diarrhea) should be dealt with by a professional. Often with this particular symptom (and irritable bowel syndrome) I will pick up a bowel parasite. A bottle or two of Bowel Pathogen Nosode drops does an awesome job most of the time in clearing up these cases.
There is usually a time of day when bowel movements are more likely to occur. In anticipation of this time, the patient should participate in activities that stimulate a normal bowel movement. It is also important for the patient to recognize the urge to defecate and to respond right away to that urge. The longer stool sits in the rectum, the more water the rectum will absorb from it, making it harder and more difficult to pass.
The urge to defecate is often strongest in the morning: Just getting up triggers the movement of the large intestine. The stomach also sends a signal when it expands after a meal. This gastrocolic reflex is the reason many people, and especially children, need to go to the bathroom soon after eating. The reflex gets weaker with age, which is one source of constipation problems and the reason why good and consistent bowel habits are helpful.
Laxatives: Some patients are so convinced they need daily laxatives that they are afraid to do without them. It takes time for a changed diet to affect the bowels and for the bowel to regain its normal rhythm. Be patient. Enemas are a better solution.
Healthy bowel movements require ingestion of a large amount of liquids and bulk foods. The patient should drink two to three quarts of liquids every day. Bulk comes from unrefined foods. Oat bran, wheat bran, brown rice, green vegetables, apples, and pears are a few examples of high residue, high fiber foods.
Some patients will benefit from adding bulk preparations of psyllium, but others find that psyllium will cause extreme amounts of gas. For these people, the addition of WHOLE flax seeds (eat without chewing them) and bran will help. And one single 8-ounce cup of coffee in the morning often helps people get a regular bowel movement.
Natural Laxatives include:
- DSS (dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate)
- Glycerine suppositories
- Nature’s Sunshine LBS II (excellent)
- Oil enemas
- Prune juice
- Saline purges
Fleet enemas are used only for people and dogs. They are very toxic to cats and can kill them. These are OK to use occasionally, but the other enemas we are talking about are better for healing purposes.
Soap suds enemas can be a little harsh to the intestine. Use these only occasionally if necessary
Inside a healthy lower intestine are billions of beneficial intestinal bacteria or microflora. These bacteria are of the Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus bifidus strains and were transferred by breast-feeding into our intestines as newborn infants. The body uses L. acidophilus and L. bifidus in the final stages of digestion reproducing themselves as necessary to keep in total harmony with the body.
When the good bacteria can’t keep up, bad bacteria overpopulate the gut to give a gut flora imbalance resulting in lower bowel diseases, gas, diarrhea, IBS, and Crohn’s. The devitalizing effect caused by harmful bacteria in the intestine is rarely diagnosed near the beginning of this imbalance. Headaches, skin infections, weakness and constipation can also be symptoms of depleted intestinal bacteria.
What Causes A Gut Flora Imbalance?
· Toxins, especially drugs such as antibiotics and narcotics
· Severe diarrhea can damage or destroy these beneficial bacteria, allowing harmful bacteria to take over producing by-products like ammonia, purines and ethionine, which can eventually cause colon cancer.
· Fasting can also deplete the beneficial bacteria because large quantities of toxins are dumped from the lymph glands into the colon at the time of the fast.
· Also during a fast, with certain diets and with eating disorders, there is an absence of foods that the good bacteria thrive on.
· Using enemas also depletes the beneficial bacteria, especially if chlorinated water is used.
To reestablish intestinal bacteria, do a couple enemas with liquid acidophilus or live acidophilus. These products should be stored and purchased refrigerated. Off-the-shelf products are not so effective for replacing gut flora. You can also mix a couple tablespoons of active plain yogurt to your enema mix along with a tablespoon of the liquid acidophilus. Add some warm water, but do not heat the mixture or use chlorinated water. After blending the mixture, pour it into the enema bag. Use less water for these types of enemas (only 1-2 cups) and try to retain the liquid within the colon for ten minutes to allow the beneficial bacteria to pass up through the intestine. This procedure will ensure that a healthy culture will propagate within the intestines.
You can also start adding L. acidophilus and L. bifidus to your foods a day or two before you break a fast. Use repeat dosages as per bottle instructions once a week for about 5 weeks.
FOS (Fructooligosaccharides) are also good for reestablishing gut flora. These are long-chain sugars that feed friendly flora. You can purchase this in concentrated pill form or eat lots of apples, Jerusalem artichokes, or pears. These foods have high amounts of FOS in them.
- Make sure the enema water is not too cold or too hot. It should be body temperature or slightly above.
- To make enemas the most effective, the patient should lie on their right side with both legs drawn up close to the abdomen. Try to hold the enema in for 5-20 minutes for best results.
- Massaging the abdomen will help dislodge and move fecal material and it also assists in releasing hardened mucus in the intestinal folds.
- Enemas should be continued even after a fast is broken until the bowels begin to move naturally without the help of the enema.
- Copious amounts of debris and ill-smelling waste can come out of the bowels with the enema water even after five weeks of fasting
- Keep all equipment clean and disinfected by washing with soap and water after each use.
- 1 Douche or enema bag or kit with an enema tip. Note: The douche tip will also work just fine.
- Some kind of oil or K-Y Jelly to lubricate the tip before inserting it into your rectum.
· Unchlorinated water (distilled or purified will do) at body temperature (2 cups to two gallons depending on your needs). Chlorinated water can harm the colon's beneficial bacteria. If tap water is your only alternative, replace the intestinal bacteria with Lactobacillus acidophilus and L. bacillus (we’ll talk about this later.) When you first start doing enemas you may only get 1 cup of water to go in if you are impacted. That’s okay—don’t force it.
Other Enema Preparations:
One benefit of muscle testing is that you can test out a schedule to fit your needs exactly. That means what types of enemas to use, their strength and how often.
- Burdock root is a good blood purifier and is good for skin problems, improved kidney function and helps the body eliminate calcium deposits.
- Castor Oil Enemas: If chronic constipation or impaction is an issue, add in a tablespoon of castor oil to the enema.
- Catnip has a soothing effect on the body and is good for energy. It improves circulation, is excellent for colds, fever and gas.
- Green Juice enemas are routinely added when treating cancer patients. The juices for this enema include watercress, parsley, dandelion leaves and wheat grass juice.
- Herbal Enema Solutions: Use 1 teaspoon dry herb per gallon of water or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped herb; bring to boil then let cool to body temperature.
- Lemon juice enemas are made with one pint of water and the juice of ½ of a fresh lemon. Lemon juice enemas are especially good for colitis problems.
- Red Raspberry Leaf is good for all kinds of female problems. Red raspberry leaf is high in iron, good for the eyes and for elimination and is very nutritious.
- Yarrow is good for the liver, stomach and glands. It is also a blood purifier opening the pores of the skin by acting as a diaphoretic (something that makes one sweat). It is good for colds, cramps, fever and flu.
Other single herbs used in enemas have included Blessed Thistle, Plantain, Pleurisy Root, Thyme, Hyssop, Mint, Elder Flower, White Oak Bark, Yellow Dock, Mullein, Echinacea, Dandelion, Parsley, and Marshmallow Root.
If you have cancer, AIDS, malabsorption problems or other serious illnesses adding 1 cc of B-complex or 2 cc liver extract plus a dropperful of liquid kelp or sea water concentrate to the retention enemas will give you an extra boost and help rebuild the liver.
To kill unwanted bacteria in the colon products like Aerobic O7, Dioxychlor, and liquid acidophilus can be added to the enemas as well. Be careful of that Dioxychlor—it’s potent stuff!
Coffee enemas are used routinely in the process of detoxification to stimulate the liver, control pain, nausea, general nervous tension and depression. At first they are given often—as often as up to every 8 hours.
When used as a retention enema, coffee enemas do not go through the digestive system and do not affect the body as a coffee beverage does. Instead, the coffee solution stimulates both the liver and gallbladder to release toxins, which are then flushed from the body.
Note. Although coffee enemas are used more often in the first few days of fasting, cleansing and cancer treatments, I often see people who are overdosing on the enemas. It’s like they have a fixation on getting every last germ out of the intestinal tract. Not possible. Enemas need to be done within reason, or they can also harm the body by taking necessary nutrients and flora out of the body. Enemas should be used for a purpose, and if you have never done them before you may want to use them under a practitioner’s supervision until your comfort level is satisfactory.
Excess use of coffee enemas over a 6-month period may deplete the body’s stores of iron and other minerals, vitamins and can cause anemia. Do not use coffee enemas for more than four months at a time.
To make enemas the most effective, the patient should lie on their right side with both legs drawn up close to the abdomen. Try to hold the enema in for 5-20 minutes. Some people use a plastic sheet on the floor “just in case” or put a diaper pad where you will lay, but my husband and I had no trouble just retaining the coffee. I lie on a beach towel on the bathroom floor while massaging my abdomen. Do be close to a toilet though because the coffee does cause peristaltic contractions and the results are marvelously effective. .
Always use Organic Coffee to do these kinds of enemas.
Dr. Max Gerson recommends using three tablespoons of ground drip coffee (not instant) to one quart of water. Let the entire mixture boil for three minutes and then simmer 15 minutes more. Strain and use at body temperature. The caffeine is absorbed from the fluid within ten minutes through the hemorrhoidal veins directly and is then transported directly through the portal veins and into the liver. This stimulates the production of bile and gets that elimination system moving. If you are allergic to caffeine, you might want to use a lemon juice enema instead.
Contraindications for High Colonics (and possibly Enemas):
- Abdominal hernia
- Abdominal surgery (some)
- Acute abdominal pain
- Acute Crohn’s disease
- Carcinoma of the rectum
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Colon cancer
- Congestive heart failure
- Diverticulitis (although juice fasting and enemas can heal these)
- Epilepsy or Psychoses
- Fissures or fistulas of the anus or intestine
- General severe debilitation
- History of seizures
- Intestinal perforation
- Kidney failure
- Recent colon or rectal surgery
- Recent heart attack
- Recent history of GI or rectal bleeding
- Rectal or Abdominal tumors
- Severe hemorrhoids
- Telescoped intestines (intussusceptions) Gas enemas are used for this problem
- Ulcerative colitis
- Vascular aneurism
Barium Enema or Lower Gastrointestinal examinationThis type of enema is used in clinics and hospitals during an X-ray examination of the large intestine. This test helps to diagnose diseases and other health problems related to the large intestine. The barium solution makes the intestine visible on an x-ray picture, letting you know whether your intestine is in a good or bad condition.
Coffee EnemaThis type of enema helps in detoxification of the liver. The caffeine in coffee is directly absorbed into the system and enters the liver to detoxify it from the toxins. It causes the liver to produce more bile which is later flushed out from the small intestine. One should use regular ground coffee and not the instant coffee to make the enema solution.
Yoghurt EnemaHome made yoghurt is very good as it has live bacteria which helps in cleansing. Anyone suffering from inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, colon cancer, hemorrhoids and many more problems can use this enema.
Lemon Juice EnemaIt is very useful in cleansing your colon from the feces by using 1/3 cup of lemon juice per quart. In comparison to other enemas, it may cause further cramping. So, if you are ready to face the music, go ahead and take this lemon juice enema treatment.
Garlic Epsom Salt EnemaFor this you will need 3 cloves of chopped garlic in 2 quarts of water. Bring it to boil and later simmer it for 5 minutes and add 2 tbsp of Epsom salt. When warm use it as your enema solution.
Epsom Salt EnemaThis type of enema is very useful for the colon. The Epsom salt present in the water increases the amount of water absorbed by the intestine and provides a laxative effect. This has been highly recommended as a cleanser.
Salt Water EnemaThe presence of salt in the enema solution reduces the transfer of water into and out of the colon. This prevents accumulation of water in kidneys and bladder therefore cutting down on your trips to the bathroom during this enema treatment.
Milk EnemaThis can be made by using 1 1/2 quart of warm water with 16 oz. of warm milk and 1 tbsp olive oil. To maintain a proper temperature you can heat the milk in a microwave. Pour the warm milk, olive oil and warm water in the enema bag. To make a milk and honey recipe you can add 1 tbsp of honey.
Salt and Soda EnemaTo make this solution you would need 1 tbsp sea salt, 1 tbsp baking soda and 2 quarts of water. This works greatly to clear away the toxins present in your colon.
Glycerin and Mineral Oil EnemaThis cleansing agent requires 1 1/2 quart of warm water, 2 tbsp of salt, 2 tbsp of mineral oil and 2 tbsp of glycerin. This solution does wonders to your colon by cleansing it. The salt water maintains the absorption to a minimum and the oil and glycerin are useful for cleaning.
Vinegar EnemaYou can use 2 tbsp white vinegar with 2 quarts of warm water. Similarly you can have wheat grass enema and mineral oil enema.
Troubled with constipation, You can use a garlic juice enema several times a week, and then a coffee retention enema once a week. The bowels should move on their own in a short period of time, and the colon will be clean, the stool will not be as foul-smelling. If you suffer from colitis, use the garlic juice enema several times a week, Or anytime pain from colitis is experienced, this enema will quickly relieve the discomfort. Or prepare the enema solution with 1 to 2 ounces of lemon juice or wheat grass in place of the garlic juice, or fill the enema bag with plain distilled water.
The temperature of this solution should be103°Fahrenheit. The warm temperature helps relax the colon.
The use of herbal teas is also popular in enema recipes. It is thought that the properties the tea would normally have when taken orally are also true of the tea when taken rectally. As such, chamomile tea enema recipes are thought to be relaxing, whereas green tea enema recipes are considered stimulating and detoxifying. The tea should be steeped in purified water and allowed to cool completely. It is very important to strain out any solids, and then the resulting liquid can be used for enemas.
A lemon juice enema recipe may be mildly irritating to the intestines, but it is thought to balance out the pH of the colon. It may cause cramping, which is often considered desirable for enemas. A lemon juice enema is prepared by juicing and straining two organic lemons, then mixing the juice with enough warm water to fill the bag. If the mixture is too harsh, it is a good idea to expel the liquid early rather than face extended discomfort.
In extreme cases, some people use cayenne pepper enemas for a variety of health problems. This enema recipe will almost certainly burn, but cayenne pepper enthusiasts claim that it relieves arthritis, lowers cholesterol, and even heals wounds. A cayenne pepper enema often consists of several heaping spoonfuls of cayenne pepper mixed with warm water, although a milder solution may be used as well. There are no official recommendations for a cayenne pepper enema, but it is never a good idea to use an enema that hurts.
Many things that can be beneficially consumed orally can be transformed into an enema solution. It is very important to modify the quantity of the substance being taken when making an enema recipe, because the intestines absorb these substances faster than the stomach. When including alcohol or other potentially dangerous substances in an enema recipe, the quantity should be very small and care must be taken to avoid accidental poisoning. For the purposes of cleansing the intestines, it may be best to stick to simple water enemas to prevent accidental illness.
Enemas That Can Be Used as Home Remedies:There are some enemas that you can administer yourself at home for treating constipation, hemorrhoids and for cleansing purposes. Some of the recipes that are used for constipation treatments use baking soda and distilled water while there are those that use mineral oil and water mixed together to help soften the stool before it is excreted. Caution should be exercised when doing a home enema and in choosing your enema solution since some of these may cause a certain amount of colonic irritation:
- Lemon juice enemas are often used for colonic cleansing and are made with a quart of water mixed with one-third cup lemon juice. This kind of an enema may cause cramping so care should be taken when using this enema.
- Milk enemas are made by mixing together a quart and a half of warm water, a tablespoon of olive oil, and sixteen ounces of milk that is slightly warmed. Some people add a bit of honey to this mixture as well.
- Coffee enemas are said to help with cleansing the colon as well as removing toxins that remain in the liver. Coffee enemas are made with the use of a tablespoon of coffee grounds mixed with a quart of water. Usually, enema kits with larger nozzles are used for this to allow for the coffee grinds to pass through.
Benefits of Beet Juice Exceed Expectations
The health benefits of beet juice aren`t well known, but they are profound. Beet juice is best known as a blood purifier and blood builder that helps in the creation of red blood cells. Russian longevity researcher, Mikhail Tombak, Ph.D., tells us that beet juice improves blood structure and cures diseases of the circulatory system, large intestine, and digestive system. Tombak also shares that beet juice dissolves stones in the liver, kidneys and bladder. Not bad for a common item found in most grocery stores.
Researchers have found that a glass of beet juice each day beats high blood pressure - and according to the American Heart Association, one in three adults has high blood pressure. In the 1950`s, Dr. Ferenczi of Hungary had his cancer patients drink a quart of beet juice each day, which was effectively breaking down and eliminating tumors. Beets have been found to increase the body`s production of glutathione, which helps the body detoxify cancer-causing poisons.
Sherry Rogers, M.D. tells us that glutathione can grab onto hundreds of different kinds of environmental chemicals and pull them into the colon where they can be flushed down the toilet. However, if you`re depleted in glutathione this process won`t work for you. And that means many environmental chemicals will remain inside your body, causing what they so often cause: cancer and other health problems.
In studies, animals with chemically-induced high cholesterol were fed beet fiber. Compared to the control group, the beet fed animals experienced a total cholesterol drop of 30%, while their triglycerides dropped 40%. Essentially, the beets significantly dropped the animals` risk factor for cardiovascular disease. The animals` HDL (beneficial cholesterol) also increased significantly, offering protective benefits.
Beets have also been found to increase the number of CD8 cells in the colon, which are cancer-destroying cells. Colon cancer is the third most diagnosed type of cancer in the U.S. and the third leading type of cancer related death. Sounds like quite a few people could benefit from drinking some more beet juice.
Getting the Benefits of Beet Juice
Drinking the fresh juice of a beet or two each day is a wonderful preventative health measure, and it may help reverse many problems. For taste, beet juice can be mixed with carrot juice or apple juice.
If you`re into cleansing, you can also get the benefits of beet juice by adding a cup to a two quart cooled coffee enema. Coffee enemas are traditionally done to cleanse the liver, and by adding fresh beet juice, you`ll compound their effectiveness. The effects of doing coffee and beet juice enemas repeatedly are profound and for more for your buck, add in the juice of a couple of cloves of fresh garlic as well.